Monday, January 3, 2011

Umm..Happy New Year?

Why do we feel the need to drink on New Year's Eve?  I have a good glass of wine a couple of times a week (Thank You Oliver!), but I only drink heavily about 3 times a year.  By heavily I mean enough to make myself sick and feel like I've been hit by a truck for the next few days after drinking.  And I've been hit by a truck so I know how it feels.  How can we actually think that starting a new year with our head lying on a toilet seat -the place where we usually put our hind end- is going to make the year happy?  I will admit that I hadn't actually planned on drinking so much.  But our night didn't go as planned and by 1:00 I said "screw it, I'm drinking".  I use quotation marks because I really did say that while standing in my kitchen looking at the 15 people that I didn't invite to my house doing shots of Jager.  Ok, I did invite 4 of the 15, maybe 5, but still I wasn't planning on that many people.  In fact, I didn't think anyone was coming at all and that we were actually going to go to another party at someone else's house.  Not sure what would have been better as I didn't really want to go to this other party.  But maybe I wouldn't have drank so much had we gone somewhere else.

I do believe that if we really want our New Year to be happy we would do something we enjoy on New Year's Eve.  Now, my husband enjoys drinking so I'm sure he thinks his New Year's are always going to be good.  I enjoy being with my kids, which were at my in-law's house this year.  We always have our friends over to our house and they always bring their kids, but this year my mother-in-law called and said she wanted the kids.  After finding out that there was only one other child going to be at my house and that wasn't definite, we decided to take my in-laws up on their offer.  I will not do this again.  I really like spending the evening with my kids and my friends.  I missed them dearly this year and let myself get out of control because there was no reason not too.  I don't drink more than a glass of wine in front of my kids.  I want them to know that it's alright to have a beer or wine or even a mixed drink every once in a while, or when there is a reason.  A beer with a Colts game, a glass of wine with dinner, a cocktail when friends are over.  But there is no real reason to get drunk.  Now I know they will get drunk, but I want them to see that there are other ways to drink.  So, I don't get drunk in front of my kids.  Had they been home I wouldn't have drank like I did.  And since it's been three days since New Year's Eve and I still feel awful, I have concluded that my actions have been ridiculous and I hope it is not an indication as to how the year will actually play out.  I really don't want to be spending the next 364 days with my head in the toilet. 

Happy New Year to you ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment