Thursday, January 20, 2011

What the H - E - double L

What's that saying?  When one door closes another one opens... Well, what if it's the only door?  And you've lost the key.  And you look through the peep hole to find everyone on the other side getting by just fine.  Then what? 

On Monday, I weighed in for Weight Watchers and gained 4lbs in one week and 3 days.  4 POUNDS!  IN ONE WEEK!  I think the only time I gained 4lbs in one week was when I was pregnant.  I am not pregnant.  How do you follow a plan that is working for all of your friends and fail so badly at it in the first week?  I'll weigh in again on Saturday and I hope I've lost 4lbs, but I feel like I've gained more.  And I've been under my points this week too, so we'll see.  This was the start to my week, just keep reading cause it gets better (and by better, I mean worse).

On Tuesday I talked to my mom and she will be undergoing a very aggressive chemo treatment because her cancer is spreading.  Her liver is enlarged due to the fact that the tumors are growing and she has tumors on her thyroid, but they have not confirmed if they are cancerous.  She will have a 6 hour treatment on Monday and 2 hours Tuesday and Wednesday.  I am taking Monday off work to sit with her.  She told me to bring scrabble because she likes scrabble and a book for her to read.  I'm taking Twilight because she hasn't read it yet, and I have yet to meet someone whose read it and didn't love it.  As a matter of fact, I may read it again soon too. 

That was the start of my Tuesday.  After I talked to my mom, my boss called me down to his office to tell me that they have to let me go because there isn't enough funding in the grant to keep me on and there isn't any positions open that I can be transferred. My last day will be February 1st and I have two weeks to find something new.  Yeah, so at this point I'm in shock and trying to look at it positively.  I'm thinking, well, I guess this will push me to find a job in the field I'm going to school for, interior design.  Right, just in case you haven't heard, there are no jobs in interior design unless you already have your degree and 5 years experience.  So, I start looking for admin positions because that's what I've been doing for 8 years.  If there's one thing I'm good at, it's answering the phone and typing.

And then there's Wednesday.  Had a meeting with Dylan's teacher, principal and school counselor.  It went well.  Then my friend Sheri calls me and says she thinks she has a job for me.  So, I dropped my a resume off at her place of employment.  I also sent out a few resumes online and printed about 20 off on blue paper.  Why blue?  Because if I could be a color right now, that would be the color.  But actually, I chose blue because it can't get lost in a stack of resumes they print off the computer.  Things are looking up now, but for real this time. 

But here is how I know everything is going to be alright.  And you are going to think I am crazy, and maybe I am, but everyone has something that makes them feel better.  Everyone has something that just makes them know that everything is going to be great.  For some it's seeing a rainbow, for others it's getting a phone call from they're mom at just the right time, and for others it's hearing a they're favorite song on the radio.  For me, it was getting an email from Dave Matthews Band that they will be playing 4 multi day, multi musician festivals this summer.  Now, for those of you who don't know, I am a little bit of a DMB fanatic.  Well, I love to see them live anyway.  Eric and I have been going to at least 2 shows a year since the weekend we got married.  There is just something about the way they play, the way they sound, that makes me feel so good inside.  I think going to see them reminds me of my "honeymoon" and brings back the joyous feelings I had that weekend.  So, when they announced they were not touring in 2011, Eric and I were a little upset.  Not with them, I mean they've been touring non-stop for 20 years so they need a little break.  We were upset because we didn't know what we were going to do this summer.  So, to get an email from DMB that they are going to play 4 festivals was like they handed me the key to my door and I was able to open it back up.  We will see Dave and the boys this summer and everything will be OK. 

Yes, I know, I'm a little off.  But it's alright, it works for me.  And I'm going to be alright, my door is open.

No comments:

Post a Comment