Friday, November 12, 2010

Ridiculous Christmas Decor

I said it before, it's way too early to put up Christmas decorations.  But does anyone listen to me?  No, no they don't.  I was driving home from my son's guitar lessons last night, and thanks to the time change it was pitch black outside at 6:45pm.  The blackness of the night allowed the massive candy cane and Santa Clause set up at the house on the corner of Troy and Arlington to shine like a wild fire in summer.  The yard is not small and every inch of it was covered in old school light up figures.  There were large light up candy canes lining the entire yard with large light up Santa Clauses in between.  My daughter even said, "mom, now that's ridiculous".  In the center of the yard there were light up reign deer and a sleigh.  I think there were lights on the house, there was so much going on that I honestly can't remember. (Note to self, take camera everywhere from now on so I can take pictures of these things). I really wanted to knock on these people door and tell them two things: 1.  It's way to early to put out any decorations, let alone decorations that look like they're from 1985.  And 2.  This is not National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, you are not going to get on TV just because you can see your house from space.  If you're decorations are blinding the people at the stop light, maybe it's too much.  I'm sure that these people are very nice, and probably think their yard looks great.  I wish I was their friend so I can tell them it doesn't look as fabulous as they think.  That's what friends do right, tell you when you need to take it down a notch? 

I will be putting lights on my house, but not until the weekend after Thanksgiving.  And they will be all blue lights lining the front of my house.  There will be no light up candy canes, no light up Santa Clauses, and they will come down the weekend after New Year's.  Unless my roof is covered with ice, then I will wait for the ice to melt before I venture out onto my roof.  Safety first. 

I don't mean to be mean and bash people, but sometimes, some people just need some help.  These poor people, who think it's alright to collect Christmas decoration for 20 years and then put them all in their front yard at the same time, well, they need some help.  I wonder what their electric bill will look like for the next 2 months.  Electricity isn't cheap, and they are using enough to run a small airport.  I hope no plane mistakes it for a runway and tries to land on top of these people's house. 

If you find that you're in a position where the only time you can put your Christmas/Holiday decorations up is before Thanksgiving, then please, for the sake of your neighbors, don't turn them on until Thanksgiving.  This has been a national blogged announcement to the holiday decorating impaired.  Thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment