Monday, November 22, 2010

Greatful, greatful and thankful!

Well, I did it!  I'm very proud of myself because I did something I've never done before and I feel great about it.  I'd like to say that I did it without any real gratification, but I can't say that because I just feel so good about the choice I made.  I know, you want to know what I did, don't you?  Well, I donated $150 to the Make a Wish Foundation the other day.  I listen to this request-a-thon that my local morning radio show host every year and I've never donated.  Mostly because I didn't have the money before.  They always do it on an off pay week, which means my account was always to low to really spare anything.  I do always throw extra $$ into the can at Panera Bread when I have dinner there before class.  But that's not really a huge committment, now is it?  But this year has been very good to my husband and me.  I was in the car listening on my way to work, thinking about the fact that I was leaving for VA to see yet another Dave Matthews Band concert (2 actually), and I started crying because I've spent quite a bit of money on DMB this year.  Not to meantion the money spent on going to the Brickyard for both Indy races, taking my kids to Florida (including theme parks and all) and the countless weekends and $$ spent out with my friends over the past year.  I just thought, wow, I really have had it good this year.  And here I am being selfish with all my money, spending it as it comes in and thinking about what to get my family for Christmas and such.  So, I called and did the Wishmakers club.  This is where you give a certain amount of money each month, it comes out automatically to make it easy on you.  Best part is, the full amount goes to the board and a kids wish can be granted.  I do believe that the kid my money went to (in a round about way) wanted a John Deer riding lawn mower because mowing the lawn is his favorite thing to do.  I thought that was great!  I know we really shouldn't gloat about these things, but I want others to feel as good as I do right now and I thought I would spread the word that helping others, no matter how you choose to do so, really makes you feel good.  And it makes the person you're helping feel good too.  Two rights can't be wrong...
By the way, my husband and I had a fabulous time in VA with our favorite band.  We made new friends and had some nice time just the two of us.  All in all, this has been a fantastic couple of weeks for me... I hope it last for a while before it comes crashing down.

No comments:

Post a Comment