Monday, August 8, 2011

Worst feeling ever...

Today I had the worst feeling ever.  How did this occur, you may ask.  Well, I'll tell you.  I woke up this morning thinking I would take the kids to the pool.  Then I thought it might be nice to take them to the fair instead.  So, after some discussion, we chose to go to the fair.  Only, we didn't make it to the fair.  Here's the story...

The plan for the day was to get Dylan's physical done, get the kids hair cut, then go to the fair for a few hours and end the day with Dylan's first scrimmage football game.  It was suppose to be another great day after a great weekend.  But when we went to the clinic to get Dylan's physical, the nurse practitioner said he had a heart murmur and she couldn't complete the physical.  She said that we needed to make an appointment with his doctor.  Now, this is not good news.  It was even worse news because she said all of this in front of Dylan.  So, as we are walking out of the place and I'm trying to grasp what I was just told...Dylan is crying thinking there is something really wrong with his heart.  Of course we get in the car and I called the doctor's office and they said they couldn't get him in until next Tuesday.  Now I don't know how you handle things, but my heart was still in my stomach from the initial news that there may be something wrong with my sweet son, so I was not so nice on the phone.  I told the receptionist that I really needed to get him in sooner than that because there could be something wrong and I didn't want to wait a week to find out what we could do about it.  She put me on hold and then came back only to say she couldn't get me in until next Tuesday.  After calling Lisa and asking "what do I do?", she said to take him to St. Francis prompt med and get a second opinion.  So I did.  And what do you know, prompt med does full physicals for $40.  The doctor did the physical and said Dylan is in perfect condition besides his eye sight, which we already knew about that issue since he's been in bi-focals since he was 5. 

If you have children, and have ever gotten bad news about their health, then you know the feeling I had today.  It drains you.  And I was trying so hard not to cry or get upset in front of the kids, but all I wanted to do was hold Dylan and cry.  Thank God that nurse was wrong.  Who knows what condition I'd be in right now if the doctor said there was something wrong with his heart.  I surly wouldn't be blogging.

Needless to say, we didn't make it to the fair.  By the time we got done with all the doctor stuff, we only had a couple of hours before we had to be home to get ready for his game.  So, we went to the mall and got slushies and shopped a little for school clothes.  Dylan did well in his practice game.  He got to carry the ball a lot and got the most yards of any player on the team.  He's such a cute little running back.

No comments:

Post a Comment