Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 2 of No Job

Here I sit, day 2 without a job, looking for a job and feeling quite down about the situation.  It doesn't help much that the entire town has shut down due to the 5" of ice that is covering everything outside.  The kids are bored out of their minds being home and inside all day.  Thank goodness for Nintendo.  Right now my daughter is quite upset with me because she wants to play outside and I said no (because my goal in life is to be the meanest mom I can be).  Actually, the ice is just barely melting, making it just slippery enough to be dangerous and the windchill is still in the teens.  And maybe I'm just a little over protective when it comes to my kids.  Unlike my neighbor, who let her kids play outside at midnight last night. 

I have this plan, and it seems to be going nowhere.  Everything today seems to be more about who you know than what you know.  What I know, is that I don't know enough people in the field of art or interior design to get a job or even an internship in such a field.  Therefore, I need to meet more people.  And now that I have the time to do so, there should be nothing stopping my plan, right?  Well, nothing but mother nature.  I could be 5 steps into my plan by now if I hadn't been stuck in my house for 3 days.

Trying to find a job online is like trying to find a shirt in your size on the $5 clearance rack.  Close to impossible.  You are looking for a job along with thousands of other people who have the same (or better) qualifications than you.  My plan is to stop in at places I would like to work and leave my resume.  Now, who knows if this will work in today's society.  15 years ago you could just stop in anywhere and fill out an application and get the job on the spot.  Not so easy today.  Today, you have to upload your resume online, fill out the application online, and follow up through email because you can't call the company directly.  Basically, it sucks. 

Hopefully, the kids will be back in school tomorrow and I can get some resumes out to some different places.  If not, then we'll just have to spend another day playing Nintendo.

No comments:

Post a Comment