Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Lost My Mind...

I've lost my mind.  Seriously, it's gone.  And I have no idea where to look for it either.  Here's the thing.  For 8 years, I've had a pretty consistent routine.  Get up, get the kids ready for school, go to work, make dinner, run kids to whichever practice or game they have that night or go to class, go to bed, get up and do it all over again the next day.  Weekends have been free for alls for the most part.  All of this while my husband works crazy retail hours or 2nd shift or 3rd shift.  Now, with this new job, and the new job's crazy hours, I can't keep anything straight.  I have worked 8 days in a row.  And they have all been 8 or 9 hour days.  I was kind of excited about this because I thought I'd learn a lot, and maybe get some good leads on clients and hopefully rack up some good sales.  But that didn't really happen.  I did learn a lot, but in all actuality, I learned so much I can't keep it all straight.  And it's jacking up my thinking with the rest of my life and responsibilities.  Last Friday, I told my boss I'd be in at 9am on Saturday because I was scheduled 9-6.  I also told my boss on Friday, that I had to go home and do homework for my Saturday morning class.  Now, how am I suppose to be at work at 9 if I have to be in I have to be at class at 9?  I proceeded to wake up at 4 in the morning because I remembered I had to be in class instead of work.  For some reason, I set the alarm for 6:30 because I was thinking I had to be in class at 8.  I got up, got ready for school, went to school, only to pull up to the school and then remember I didn't have to be there for an hour.  (arrows pointing to me with the word "crazy" attached to the end of them). 

I knew there was going to be an adjustment period for Eric and the kids (and there is, but it's mostly just the household things), but I didn't think about the fact that I would also have an adjustment period.  Just a little bit ago, I put ice cream in the fridge instead of the freezer.  I also realized that I ran the dishwasher without any dishwasher detergent.  Only that was a couple days ago, so not only did the dishes not get clean, but now there is a sink full of dishes that also have to be washed.  Yuck.

The other adjustment I have to make is not having weekends off.  Eric worked so hard for years to be able to have weekends off, and we've had that for the past couple years.  Every weekend together to do whatever we want, with or without the kids.  Now, I get one weekend off a month.  The good news is that there is more business on the weekends which means more money for me and my family.  The bad news is, less time with Eric and the kids and our friends.  How am I suppose to party with my friends if I'm at work?  How am I suppose to create amazing memories if I'm to tired to remember where the ice cream goes, let alone where I'm suppose to meet my friends to create such memories?  How am I going to finish this blog when I'm falling asleep writing it?

I have the next two days off.  I'm having lunch with friends, doing homework, going to class and cleaning my house.  Oh, and paying my bills, which is just another thing I use to do routinely.  (Note the "use to" in the last sentence.)  Now I'm paying them when I get the email that says it's due in such and such days.  AHHHHHH....  It's going to get better, right?  Mind you, I'm not really complaining...I'm just trying to sort out my thoughts on paper. 

1 comment:

  1. it will get better, i go through those same periods- glad to know i am not the only one. i swear for weeks i had to do everything twice when i didn't have time to do everything once!! hang in there, it will even out!!

    ReplyDelete