Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A trip into the past

Now here's something ridiculous...I got home from class late Monday night and there is this box sitting in my entry way.  My sister tells me that mom told her to bring it to me and it's full of stuff from my high school years.  Now, I have to tell you that my mom has been giving me stuff from "my high school years" for years now.  So my natural response was "there's more stuff?"  As I started pulling things out of the box, I realize it's not from high school, it's from jr. high.  And not only is it stuff from my jr. high school years, it's stuff I had thrown away and my mom thought she should keep it "just in case".  There were full size wall posters of Paula Abdul, Bo Jackson (yeah, remember him?), Nelson (the hot twins with long hair), Michael Jordan, Vanilla Ice, and...get ready for it...New Kids on the Block.  There were sweatshirts from the sports I took part in as well as a pair of stone washed jean shorts that I had decorated with puffy paint.  I can't believe she's had these things all this time.  Apparently keeping them in the attic, surprisingly they were in good condition.  But here's the best part, there were three posters of black panthers.  I had these because my favorite song at the time was Black Cat by Janet Jackson (oh Janet, I don't think I would have made it through some days without you in 1990).  This is the best part because these posters are now hanging on my daughter's bedroom wall.  I know it sounds crazy, but when she saw them she said, "Mom, I have to have these, please let me hang them in my room."  So, since they are in good condition, I said yes.  Now, here's the sad part.  My daughter has changed the posters on her wall a couple times over the past few years, but there is a picture of a crown that says princess on it hanging above her dresser.  She's asked to take it down and give it to Goodwill.  I will take it down (even though it will kill me to let go of this last part of her being a child), but I will not give it to Goodwill.  I will put it in a box that will collect various items over the next 7 years -as she graduates in 2017- hold this box in my attic for 20 some odd years and then give it to her one night when I'm watching her kids (my grandkids).  I hope she will enjoy the trip down memory lane as much as I did the other night...thanks for thinking ahead 20 years mom!

2 comments:

  1. Love the thought of you keeping Hannah's things -- I am sure that I will do the same exact thing with lex....it's nice to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Mama Pam! That is so great that she kept these things for you. My mom took my "I don't want this stuff" answer seriously and I have things from h.s. left but no Jr. High stuff. That is so awesome Kellie!

    ReplyDelete